For the older inhabitants of Burry Port, the transformation from busy industrial harbour to holidaymaker's playground must be nothing short of miraculous. In fact, Burry Port did not exist until the 1850s, when the village grew up around the new harbour that was built to export the coal produced in the Gwendraeth valley.
As part of the Millennium project, a cycle track and footpath has been laid from Bynea (Llanelli) to Pembrey - a distance of some 14 miles. A new Marina developed and Burry Port transformed from industrial heritage site to a busy harbour once more.
The beach is small but relatively uncrowded, and there are a range of water based activities for the holidaymaker.
Reading about the history of the village, the most memorable event in Burry Port's history seems to have been that 90 years ago, on June the 18th 1928, Amelia Earhart's Fokker F7 (on her bid to become the first woman to fly the Atlantic) ran out of fuel and landed in Burry Port's harbour.
Eateries include Crazie Crepes and Food Palace, both situated at the harbour, The Cornish Arms on Gors Road or Whitfords or the Surf Bar Cafe on Stepney Road.