Newcastle Emlyn is a bustling Market Town straddling the Ceredigion and Carmarthenshire border. The ruined castle overlooks the River Teifi and points to the strategic importance once held by this town. Actually there are two towns, to the North (on the Ceredigion side of the river) lies Adpar and to the South, Newcastle Emlyn (in Carmarthenshire).
The river crossing and market (which continues to this day) made it an important drover's town and left a legacy of Public Houses - in the 1860s over 33, but now sadly, down to a mere ten or so.
Newcastle Emlyn & Adpar had a number of historic firsts - the first printing press in Wales in 1719, an electricity generating power station in 1907.
A historic last too - the Last Duel in Cardiganshire took place in 1814! The old Workhouse is now unrecognizable as a cheese factory, but the old Grammar School building and Courthouse still stand though the latter now houses a branch library.
The Castle is the most important historic ruin. There is not much of it left now as it was blown up by Oliver Cromwell's forces in 1645.
There are a large number of local "eateries" - four tea rooms, three "take aways", an Indian restaurant and six pubs with restaurants.
A wide variety of craft and antique shops reflect the importance of tourism to the area, but there are still very "traditional" ones as well - a Butcher, a Fishmonger and a Baker that are renowned for their local produce.